« MICHELLE YEOH IN SUNSHINE | Main | I'M A CYBORG FINISHES PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY »

August 22, 2006

PANG BROTHERS REQUIRE RESHOOTS

Bad news for Pang Brothers fans, but good news for people who like good movies. Ghost House (Sam Raimi's production company that released THE GRUDGE) had hired the Brothers Pang to direct THE MESSENGERS, a Canada-shot horror movie about a haunted sunflower farm starring Kristen Stewart, Dylan McDermott and John Corbett. But apparently they weren't happy with what they got and they just did reshoots...with another director. Bloody-Disgusting has the news, but they can't reveal the director's name. I recommend not heading over there, however, because their site features some annoying new pop-ups that are almost as bad as what you get on a Bollywood site. The film is set for a January 19 release.

(Thanks to the sharp-eyed reader who sent this in)

August 22, 2006 at 05:26 PM in News | Permalink

Comments

Great news, too bad you just devalued your website by knocking on another website. It just shows how professional you guys are. Fuck your site and fuck you. Last time I go here.

Posted by: Dan | Aug 22, 2006 6:14:17 PM

Dear Dan,

What can I do to convince you to stay? I hear your problems and maybe I am wrong. I've been thinking a lot about what you said and I think the problem could be with me. At first I thought that you were just being you - you know, the way you can sometimes get. But there was something about the way you expressed yourself. It was so thoughtful and so sincere. I really took it to heart and I've been walking around all night just thinking about it and - I can admit it - missing you a little.

Is there anything I can do to win you back, Dan? I long to feel your touch one more time. To hold you in my arms. To hear that silly little song you sing in the shower. Please, Dan. You've really opened my eyes tonight and I don't think there can be another one out there like you.

I don't know how to say it any plainer than this: Dan, I miss you. I'm wrong. And I love you. Please come back.

Posted by: Grady Hendrix | Aug 22, 2006 6:56:47 PM

Wow, what's the point of even hiring the Pangs if they get somebody else to shoot it now? Dicks.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 22, 2006 7:15:03 PM

Sometimes I end up at an Indian website via google news and then 'Smash Hits' starts attacking. Someone ( the pang brothers) could make a horror movie out of it.

Posted by: nanoo | Aug 22, 2006 8:59:55 PM

I try not to link to a lot of Bollywood sites these days because the pop ups scare me. I worry that somehow they'll bleed off my computer screen and into my life and every time I try to look at anything I'll see an ad to send money to Delhi instead.

Posted by: Grady Hendrix | Aug 23, 2006 4:30:29 AM

I always told you that Dan was no good for you, Grady. You're better off without him. You'll heal and move on to find someone who will love you for you. There are many fish in the sea.

Posted by: Michael Wells | Aug 23, 2006 5:58:34 AM

*cough cough* Erm, putting Grady's love life aside for a moment - as if that's possible - I'm still a touch confused by the thought that this is "good news for people who like good movies." Is it that you don't like the Pang Brothers' films? Or do you mean to applaud the suits who hired a "mystery" fill-in (I'm thinking a cheaper Renny Harlin-type) after they took the film away from them?

Posted by: Peter Martin | Aug 23, 2006 9:04:02 AM

I'm just not a fan of the Pang Brothers. They make good-looking movies, but for some reason the glass always seems half-empty to me. I really disliked BANGKOK DANGEROUS, which I thought just ran the hitman genre even further into the ground, I thought THE EYE was alright and had some good moments in it but that ending was too perverse to be on purpose (or was it?), and I thought EYE 2 and EYE ONE MILLION were boring (although each had one or two good moments that seemed to stand out from the rest of the movie).

I don't think Ghost House is adverse to having an Asian director make his or her own film (witness Takashi Shimizu and THE GRUDGE 1 and 2), so I think they must have been genuinely displeased with the results from the Pangs. But then again, I'm pretty biased in this department.

Posted by: Grady Hendrix | Aug 23, 2006 9:23:24 AM

I have to agree with Grady on the Pangs - they are the very definition of over-praised. They made their reputation on two films, Bangkok Dangerous and The Eye, each of which was a decent but inferior knockoff of an earlier success (Fallen Angels and The Sixth Sense). They're not untalented, but I've seen nothing so far to made them stand out from a similar crowd of competent semi-hacks.

The whole pop-up discussion has me flashing back to the episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force where pop-ups actually DO escape the computer, trapping our heroes in an increasingly crowded 2-dimensional room. Good stuff.

Posted by: David Austin | Aug 23, 2006 9:45:40 AM

I like Sam Raimi's movies, But is there anything that his Ghost House company put out that's been worth seeing? I avoided The Grudge because I hated the Japanese original and didn't hear anything that would make me want to see the remake. I kinda question Sam Raimi's judgement(The Boogeyman premise sounded really silly to me...but hey it made money amazingly enough) and almost wonder if the Pangs turned out an actual interesting film that got taken away from them.

Posted by: hellocruelworld | Aug 24, 2006 9:30:36 AM