« IT'S OSCAR SEASON! | Main | STEPHEN CHOW VS. THE EYELIDS »

October 03, 2006

MARTIN SCORSESE CAN'T STOP THE REMAKES!

Last November, Martin Scorsese (best known for his remake of INFERNAL AFFAIRS: THE DEPARTED - which is getting rave reviews) announced that his next movie would be SILENCE, an adaptation of Shinoda Masahiro's movie 1971 SILENCE, in turn based on the historical novel SILENCE by Endo Shusaku. It's about the persecution of Catholic missionaries in sixteenth century Japan.

Now, if I can believe Jason Gray's translation of this article, it looks like he's moving forward with it.

(Read more here)

October 3, 2006 at 11:38 AM in News | Permalink

Comments

Grady,

I should've also mentioned that it's scheduled to start shooting next summer in Vancouver (I was really hoping it'd be shot in Japan -- maybe some of it will be).

Scorsese also joked "I intend to only do Asian film remakes from now on!"

ps. Your Paprika review was excellent -- brought up things not mentioned in other reviews (eg. fatties and gays).

Posted by: Jasong | Oct 3, 2006 9:12:22 PM

Christopher Doyle was apparently 100% on the money when he issued his verbal smackdown of Scorcese if this is true. Back to back remakes, come on now, Marty, I expect more from you. If this continues I want to see a Scorcese remake of TAOISM DRUNKARD starring Leonardo DeCaprio (of course) and David Cross.

Posted by: Rhythm-X | Oct 4, 2006 12:13:16 AM

Scorsese's version of Silence won't be based on the 1971 film, but on the novel. His The Age of Innocence was also filmed once before but was similarly based on the novel. That's why his remake remark was called a joke.

Posted by: A | Oct 4, 2006 2:21:45 AM

"Christopher Doyle was apparently 100% on the money when he issued his verbal smackdown of Scorcese if this is true. Back to back remakes, come on now, Marty, I expect more from you."

I kinda expect more from people to look beyond the "making remakes is a bad thing" mantra.

Posted by: the running man | Oct 4, 2006 10:14:16 AM

Except instead of Daoism Drunkard it will be called:

Kundun 2: Holyfella and the Banana Monster

Posted by: Simon Abrams | Oct 4, 2006 10:19:02 AM

"best known for his remake of INFERNAL AFFAIRS: THE DEPARTED"

Taxi Driver
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
The King of Comedy
Raging Bull
The Last Temptation of Christ
Cape Fear
Goodfellas
Casino

I think he's known for far more than just a remake.

Posted by: El Santo | Oct 4, 2006 9:05:45 PM

And boy would Christopher Doyle's verbal smackdown have been far more effective if Doyle hadn't lensed the remake of Psycho.

Posted by: Scott Hamilton | Oct 5, 2006 9:23:11 AM

Having seen Departed last night, I can honestly say Scorsese deserves Doyle's scorn. I went in with an open mind but it was just painful to watch. I'm a Scorsese fan too. I was just blown away by how infantile the dialogue was (they're macho men so apparently they don't need good dialogue) and how incredibly uninteresting the ratcheted up testosterone was (subtle dialogue: "Your vulnerability is really freaking me out.").

The first hour is fine because it's trying to set up something different from IA but when it hits IA mode in the next hour and a half, it just really sucks hard. I cannot possibly stress how disappointing it was.

Posted by: simon abrams | Oct 5, 2006 9:48:46 PM

You do realize Simon that your complaints of he Departed are attributed to the dialog, which Martin Scorsese had nothing to do with as he did not write the script.

You should point to the right person to blame rather than attack the big name.

Posted by: the running man | Oct 6, 2006 10:11:25 AM

Whatever you say. You win. I give up. White flag.

Posted by: simon abrams | Oct 6, 2006 9:40:36 PM