« WKW + WEINSTEINS = MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS | Main | FRIDAY IS FUN-DAY: ALL GOSSIP EDITION! »

November 10, 2006

LINDA LINDA LINDA - IN THEATERS NOW

LINDA LINDA LINDA

A while back we mentioned that Viz had picked up PING PONG, A TASTE OF TEA and LINDA LINDA LINDA. Well, although you wouldn't know it, LINDA LINDA LINDA is now playing in the theaters around the country. Currently they've just got one print running around:

Now! November 10th! LINDA LINDA LINDA at the ImaginAsian in New York City
November 10-16 19

December 8th! LINDA LINDA LINDA at Facets Cinematheque in Chicago

December 29th! LINDA LINDA LINDA at the Grand Illusion Cinema in Seattle

LINDA x3 sold out both screenings at the New York Asian Film Festival and the New York Times gives it a rave in today's paper saying:

"If a movie about guitar-strumming Japanese high school girls isn't high on your list of weekend destinations, you could be missing one of this year's most unexpected pleasures."

Time Out New York gushed about it, too:

"Nobuhiro Yamashita's po-faced ode to schoolgirls, garage rock and the smell of teen spirit hits like an endorphin rush even as it employs a deadpan attitude and deliberate pace...imagine downing Jarmusch's entire output along with a six-pack of Jolt...Pop narcotics simply don't come any purer."

If you ever wanted to try something new, go on the perfect date movie, or support Asian cinema, you should get yourself to one of these runs for LINDA LINDA LINDA.

LINDA LINDA LINDA official site.

(I'm not getting paid to shill this. I just think it's a fantastic movie and Viz seems to have no clue about how to publicize their theatrical releases. So I enthuse and hope it makes a difference.)

November 10, 2006 at 10:57 AM in News | Permalink

Comments

Aah, why is this not coming to San Francisco?! I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for ages.

Posted by: Adam Douglas | Nov 10, 2006 7:39:10 PM

It had its US Premiere in San Francisco, playing the Kabuki's House 1 for the Asian-American Film Festival last March. I hope that's not scaring any local theatres off from booking it. By now I imagine a lot of word of mouth has built up locally. I know I've been telling people about it all year.

Posted by: Frisco Brian | Nov 10, 2006 9:05:23 PM

I'm really hoping Viz gets it booked in San Francisco and LA. I can't imagine they'd have a problem. The film's got a good pedigree, good word-of-mouth, and there's plenty of theaters in both towns.

Posted by: Grady Hendrix | Nov 11, 2006 6:32:54 AM

For a foreign-language movie, it is rather difficult to book a theater in LA.... Many foreign-language movies, which were released in New York theaters, had never been released in Los Angeles theaters....

Posted by: no name | Nov 11, 2006 10:56:31 AM

Will this come out on DVD?

Posted by: Rosaline | Nov 11, 2006 5:08:39 PM

Grady, I almost missed this because of you! But I discovered last night that it closes tonight and made it to the 2nd-to-last screening. And boy, oh boy, am I glad I did. This is the first movie I've seen in a long time (years?) that made me cry out of sheer joy. Like, big tears, rolling down my face... not a lump in my throat.

I say this sort of thing so often, but what's wrong with this country that this gets an almost non-existent release? How did it do in Japan? Or Korea, for that matter?

Posted by: Michael Wells | Nov 16, 2006 6:54:04 PM

thanks a lot. i did miss this because of you. granted, i could have checked the theater's website earlier, but i was counting on seeing it this weekend after reading your article. i guess i can only blame myself. but seriously, wtf?

Posted by: chris | Nov 16, 2006 11:03:56 PM

The first time I saw LINDA X 3 I really didn't like it. I was watching it on a VHS screener and it was late and it made no impression on me at all. Then when I saw it at the festival on our last night it blew me away. This is a movie that's designed to be seen with an audience so I'm glad people got the chance.

Sorry about the date confusion, I blame a typo.

Posted by: Grady Hendrix | Nov 17, 2006 5:05:17 AM

Hey Grady? Didn't want to e-mail you about this, but I coerced my less uh, 'Asian Film-Inclined' friends to go see this with me on Friday in Chicago, and a big thanks from me on the heads-up. Great film, except...

....now they won't stop singing the chorus from the song...

Posted by: Five Venoms | Dec 10, 2006 9:20:24 PM