« JET LI'S UNDERGROUND MANSION | Main | JAPANESE MOVIES ARE BETTER THAN YOUR MOVIES »

December 08, 2006

TWC: POLICE STORY, NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE, SEVEN SWORDS

SEVEN SWORDS is straight to video The Weinstein Company extends its tentacles all over the place this week. One tentacle bought all English-language rights to Shinya Tsukamoto's NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE: UK, US, Australia, Canada. This was the best movie I saw at Pusan and I had the hots for it something bad. I'm guessing they wound up paying in the $100,000 - $150,000 range for it. Although they might have paid $200,000 since they did pick up everything. The best thing about NIGHTMARE is that it's extremely remake and franchise friendly. Tsukamoto's already working on NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE 2 and 3 and he should be. This is TETSUO meets THE X-FILES.

A sharp-eyed reader, and a few others, send in the info that Tsui Hark's SEVEN SWORDS will be going straight-to-DVD in January, which is hardly a surprise. Some people liked this movie but I wasn't one of them. It's a two-disc set and it's streeting January 2, 2007.

I also just received my POLICE STORY disc so expect a review early next week. The cover is sort of anonymous and I don't understand why they aren't able to find higher-profile publications to blurb on the front of the boxes, but I'm expecting a bang-up disc when I finally pop it into my player.

December 8, 2006 at 10:06 AM in News | Permalink

Comments

I've had Seven Swords on dvd for ages. The extras on this TWC version just aren't enough to entice me to buy again.

Hmm, will 'Police Story' be able to pop up into my rental queue now that it's been freed?

Posted by: Screamingmimi | Dec 8, 2006 10:44:30 AM

Oh, nevermind. I was thinking 'Crime Story'. *slap*

Posted by: Screamingmimi | Dec 8, 2006 10:57:23 AM

Remember, anonymous is a sizable step up from incompetent, which is the first word that comes to mind when I think of the covers of the old Dimension releases.

Posted by: Rhythm-X | Dec 8, 2006 12:06:18 PM

Excellent news (re: Nightmare Detective).
I will netflix that and Seven Swords for sure.

Posted by: Simon Abrams | Dec 8, 2006 1:26:18 PM

That is if Netflix will even carry them...don't forget that Weinstein locked up an exclusive rental deal with Blockbuster, which means that technically only Blockbuster will have TWC product for rent. That said, I wonder if Netflix can buy TWC product from other outlets and rent it out or not.

Posted by: Al | Dec 8, 2006 2:03:25 PM

Yes, Netflix can buy TWC product from other outlets and rent it out.

[But that might not be the case. Because of the first-sale doctrine of U.S. copyright law, rental dealers can still buy Weinstein DVDs from mass merchants and other retail DVD sellers, then turn around and rent them.

Blockbuster's two biggest rivals for consumer rental dollars in the U.S., Movie Gallery and Netflix, declined comment, but sources close to one top rental chain said: "We're still going to service our customers with the titles they want. All this amounts to is Blockbuster writing a check to the Weinsteins, just as they did in the days of Miramax and Disney."]

Posted by: no name | Dec 8, 2006 2:53:05 PM

I know about the deal with the Weinsteins but netflix carries Police Story and SPL; why wouldn't they carry these?

Posted by: Simon Abrams | Dec 8, 2006 6:01:39 PM

Yeah, 'Kill Zone' is up for rental at Netflix.

But the only Seven Swords there so far is the television series.

Posted by: Screamingmimi | Dec 9, 2006 10:48:52 AM

Keep in mind though that they (netflix) only announced that they were getting SPL and Police Story the week the came out.
It showed up only in their "Arriving this week" section and until then, if you searched for either of them before that, you wouldn't be able to find them.

Posted by: Simon Abrams | Dec 9, 2006 1:50:01 PM

Dragon Dynasty's website seems to be down...

Posted by: Andrew Cunningham | Dec 9, 2006 9:38:43 PM

To clarify, the Blockbuster/TWC deal starts 1/1/07 for 4 years so we'll all be closely monitoring future releases.

Posted by: Al | Dec 11, 2006 8:11:45 AM

More info about the Blockbuster/TWC deal...other retailers can under First Sale buy TWC discs from other locations and rent them. Let's see it Netflix does so:

Posted by: Al | Dec 12, 2006 6:40:39 AM

If it does start on 1/1/07, then why is The Protector, one of the titles explicitly mentioned in the deal's description, still listed as being released in January on netflix's site? I think that they'll get something going. I trust them (.....moderately...)

Posted by: Simon Abrams | Dec 12, 2006 5:20:05 PM