« YUBARI IS BACK! | Main | OSCAR SHORTLIST ANNOUNCED »

January 18, 2007

BENNY CHAN MAKING A MOVIE

Benny Chan, director of more "That wasn't as bad as it could have been" movies than I care to count, is all lined up to start work on his next project, INVISIBLE TARGET, which is sure to be greeted with universal half-hearted acclaim. Budgeted at US$8 million, it'll star Jaycee Chan, Shawn Yue and Nic Tse as three cops out to defeat the not-so-mysterious Ronin Gang. Andy On and Wu Jing also star.

Also: the Pang Brothers continue to make horror films.

(Thanks to Hitman for the news)

January 18, 2007 at 08:35 AM in News | Permalink

Comments

After Re-Cycle can we all admit the Pang Bros. are hacks?

Posted by: AlexG | Jan 18, 2007 8:38:37 AM

The Eye and Bangkok Dangerous are both good movies that show an understanding of how films work. I think they are not so much hacks as film makers who got lazy and sloppy with success. But I do agree about Re-Cycle, every time I see a decent to good review of it I wonder what people saw.

Posted by: daniel | Jan 18, 2007 8:52:53 AM

Oh, and Jaycee Chan still gets to make movies? Even his father doesn't support his career, so who wants more "I vaguely look like my father, minus the physical skills or charisma" dragging films to a halt?

Posted by: daniel | Jan 18, 2007 8:55:54 AM

"Benny Chan, director of more "That wasn't as bad as it could have been" movies than I care to count,"

That's funny...Benny Chan to me has been the director of more, "Oh my god it's actually worse than I thought it could have been" movies. :D

Posted by: the running man | Jan 18, 2007 8:59:21 AM

I think we can all agree, though: NEW POLICE STORY, GEN X and GEN Y COPS and DIVERGENCE all could have been much, much worse.

Posted by: Grady Hendrix | Jan 18, 2007 9:43:22 AM

According to wu-jing.org this film, 'Nan Er Ben Se', has been filming since November.http://www.wu-jing.org/News.php Just FYI. :)

Posted by: Screamingmimi | Jan 18, 2007 10:11:16 AM

GEN-Y COPS really couldn't have been much worse than it was. That movie made my brain hurt. So did NEW POLICE STORY, though it's better than GEN-Y COPS, if only by default. BIG BULLET and WHO AM I? are enjoyable, and remain the best films of his that I've seen. GEN-X COPS is tolerable for what it is, but what it is is something you rent when everything you actually wanted to get is checked out, and you don't want to go home empty-handed.

Posted by: Rhythm-X | Jan 18, 2007 10:18:25 AM

I agree with Grady, it is actually how I feel each time I see a Benny Chan film (except Big Bullet and Gen-X Cops, the second one being one of my guilty pleasures)

Thank God, I didn't give in to the morbid curiosity and actually managed to stay away from Gen-Y Cops so far.

Posted by: eliza bennet | Jan 18, 2007 11:51:50 PM